Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Boy, n.: a noise with dirt on it.

In every family there is someone with a funny nickname….mine is Sis, and though it’s very common, that’s what they call me. (My Uncle Donnie used to call me Boo-Boo Kitty but I guess that was just too hard to say every time someone wanted to yell at me.) My dad’s nickname is Skeeter so growing up when someone called and asked for Ernest, you better have told them he wasn’t home.
Anyway, I have a cousin named Jon Christopher. With a nice name like that you’d think we either call him Jon, Chris, J.C., something like that but no, his family calls him Budge, aka Budgie. Now, you have to understand just who Budge is….a rambunctious 5 year old who probably knows too much and definitely doesn’t care to share his thoughts. He’s unique to say the least and his favorite pastime is fussing with my papaw.
His older sister Jenna and brother Clint tend to spoil him like most older siblings do. He gets what he wants, when he wants it and when he doesn’t, watch out. A few months ago he got really ticked at Jenna for some reason I can’t remember. Now, Budge may only be 5 but his vocabulary is better than most adults. However, during this name calling event he got his new vocabulary words confused and ended up calling Jenna a “Vaggit”, we’re assuming that’s a cross between two other words which I’ll leave up to you to figure out…lol. Yes, this is the same child that yelled (at Jenna’s softball game for all the crowd to hear) at Clint to, and I quote, “put me down, you’re hurtin’ my balls!”
So, who wants to be his kindergarten teacher???



Budge holding Drew, who he thinks is his "little broffer".



I teach high school, but a good friend of mine is a kindergarten teacher. One day a little boy tattled on another, telling my friend the other student said the "B" word. Wondering exactly which "B" word, she called the boy over and asked him to repeat what he had said. He did not want to repeat it for the teacher, but after some prodding he finally admitted to saying "Bagina".


Ben, Houston, Texas

3 comments:

JB, Angie and Ashlyn said...

Great idea...next time I have a bad day I might adopt some of the new vocabulary...I'm sure I could turn a few heads :)

{ s R e } said...

boy, i'm sure you could come up with some freakin' good ones, too.

jenn said...

um...this makes me want to have about 20 of him in Kindergarten. i would start a blog piece called "kindergarten captions". i'd make t-shirts or something.