Friday, October 3, 2008


well, today was a gorgeous day. after last night i certainly didn't think i'd be saying that...drew decided he was going to stay up ALL night so we got very, very little sleep. (get ready, tommy, i know you're worried enough already!)

i guess i should start with last night. some of the girls from work picked me up and we all went to a movie then dinner. we went totally chick-flick and watched nights in rodanthe. the theater had only women and i'm very happy for all the men that didn't have to attend....they were spared many sniffles, sobs and sighs. the movie was good though i had an idea how things were going to end.

after the movie we all piled in and went to ruby tuesday's....after several wrong turns, ha! i was beginning to wonder if all the crying pam did had affected her driving skills. we ended up closing the place down and lucky for us, we were the only ones there. i think we did everything we always tell our kids not to do. we did not use inside voices for one...i think they probably heard us back in the kitchen. it was a very good time, enjoyed by all and i hope we do it again next month.

i ended up getting home around 11:00 and when i walked through the door, i could hear drew screaming at the top of his lungs. this scared me to death since tim was upstairs and obviously hadn't heard him. i ran into the bedroom and scooped him up....this was the beginning of a very long night. he wanted to play until 1:00, then when we would try to put him in his bed he would start screaming all over again. this isn't typical of drew so i knew something must be wrong. the only time i could get him to sleep was when i held him from 3:00-5:00 this morning. the whole night i kept having flashbacks of those first colicky months and i shuddered like it was a nightmare. oddly enough, he's been in a very good mood all day for a little boy that had no sleep last night. we realized about halfway through the night he was getting another tooth when he chomped down on tim's finger....that explained the screaming and not wanting to go to bed.

after a night of no sleep, i got up, put my running clothes on and was off to meet the girls for our run at eku. i just knew it was going to be a horrible run for me because of the no sleep thing but it actually ended up being good. we started a the stadium and ran the perimeter of campus, all the way down lancaster to downtown, to madison bank and back the same route to the football field. after our run we checked out the wellness center (which was very nice and i coveted the rock wall!) and then did something i've never, ever done before.....dun, dun, dunnnnn -- we weighed ourselves in the locker room on their industrial sized scale. not that i haven't weighed myself before, but i won't even let tim see my weight, much less another girl! jennifer and jeanne, you are sworn to secrecy and if that information ever gets out, i'm coming for you....:)

when i was on my way home my mom called and said she and mamaw were coming down....i went home, took a quick shower, got drew ready and headed back to town to meet them for lunch. we also went to wal-mart and i discovered something quite interesting. (i'll mention it later in my list of tidbits to think about.) we went to penney's where i got drew his first halloween costume, then headed home. whew, what a busy day! all this time, tim stayed home and stained the deck....what a guy!

okay, here are the tidbits i had to think about today:
  • i realized when we were at wal-mart it was the third of the month...if you have ever worked in the law/court, bank or pharmacy (or wal-mart) business, you know what the third of the month equals....checks. not working people checks, the other kind of checks. well, my realization was that with drew's one tooth sticking out like a badge of honor, we fit right in with the other wal-mart clientele....
  • while running, i think i get into such a zone that i probably ran out in front of several cars while crossing the street. that's a little scary.
  • drew's favorite new things to do are to climb on anything and everything, including the treadmill. he knows he isn't supposed to do it...once he gets up on it, he turns around to see who's watching, then smiles and laughs like he's really done something. today when i went to get him off for the hundredth time, i realized the treadmill is covered with dust. (bad sign #1) i went and got something to clean it off with and as i was wiping, i found an old french fry stuck under the belt....(bad sign #2). what does that say about my recent physical activity when the treadmill is covered in dust and french fries???
  • i thought i had ruined the bathtub two days ago when i was cleaning the carpet
    shampoo-er. when i emptied it, all the water just sat in the tub and wouldn't drain. this afternoon i was finally able to work on it (since most of the water had finally drained). while using all my might with a plunger, trying to work out whatever was stuck in there, i look over to see the lever for the drain is pulled halfway up. i felt like such an idiot! i always put it halfway up when drew is in there so the water stays warm but doesn't get too deep....i guess i forgot to put it back down. tim found this hilarious.
  • the last tidbit goes along with the weighing one from above....given i wanted to cover the scale readout with both hands so jeanne and jennifer could not view my worth, it's odd that i came home and ate half a pizza all by myself after also going out to lunch at red lobster with the fam. why is it that we do that? am i the only one? when i still need to lose the last of this baby weight, i go home, eat a horrible lunch and a horrible dinner....oh yeah, i had a brownie and two mini-candy bars, too. and even though i don't feel good about that, i've even considered a hot fudge cake. ha! i guess if you're gonna do it, do it right.


Jb and AnGiE said...

I texted you last night and this morning. I'm glad the movie was good, and I can't wait to go see it myself! I'm totally bummed that I couldn't meet you all today for the run..oh and about my ankle...the swelling has gone down, but I'm still feeling pain. I'm hoping to be back running by Sunday. Sometimes our bodies give us these signs to tell us to slow down, so I think I'll listen to mine. Next time you all do the campus run...I'm in!

Tommy said...

me worried? i have no idea what you are talking about?!

jenn said...

If being a vegetarian means I eat like you, then i'm in...