Wednesday, September 17, 2008

*Surprise Mail*

Most of the time I don't like getting the mail in the evenings because it either contains junk or bills....two things I'm sure we all have more than enough of. Today I went straight in the house and left the mail for Tim to retrieve. When he came in he handed me a small envelope addressed to me. Immediately I recognized my mamaw's handwriting and had a feeling what the envelope would contain. Much to my chagrin, it contained a check and a note.






I don't know if you can see, but the note says,

"Sis, To buy gas to get to work---why? Because I love you. --Mam"

My mamaw is one of the most important people in my life. This note may not seem that odd to some of you but for some reason, my family has never really said "I love you" much. I think it's always been this unspoken creed that we love each other so much if we actually say it, we cry. It's odd because I tell Tim and Drew a million times a day but some of the closest people in my life have a hard time vocalizing that same phrase. Don't get me wrong, I've never really longed to hear it because I guess actions have always spoken much louder than words for us, it's just a little different than most families that are so close.

She's always been an inspiration, role model, caregiver, sounding board, ally, and rescuer for me. I think she is one of the main reasons I didn't turn down the wrong path growing up. Yes, my mom and dad definitely had a hand in that as well, but the thought of disappointing my mamaw makes me sick. She's a fighter and one of the most brave and faithful people I know. She taught be how to forgive, accept and love unconditionally while also teaching me the art of giving the cold shoulder instead of entertaining bad influences. I haven't been getting to see her as often as I would like but we talk on the phone several times a week. I often think that God sent us Drew as an incentive for mamaw to keep pushing on during her horrible chemotherapy. I found out I was pregnant after that first terrifying chemo treatment....from then on I think she had something to look forward to and not give up. I thank God everyday he has given me the opportunity to have such a special relationship with her.


Grandmas are moms with lots of frosting. ~Author Unknown


A child needs a grandparent, anybody's grandparent, to grow a little more securely into an unfamiliar world. ~Charles and Ann Morse


What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies. ~Rudolph Giuliani

(Mamaw still keeps me a stash of candy bars in the back of the cabinet!)


Grandma always made you feel she had been waiting to see just you all day and now the day was complete. ~Marcy DeMaree


Grandmas hold our tiny hands for just a little while, but our hearts forever. ~Author Unknown





3 comments:

jenn said...

This is precious! I almost cried when I read it. You are richly blessed, sis!

JB, Angie and Ashlyn said...

Oh...what would we do without our Mam's or Nanny's? They are always so perfect in every way! God Bless them and thank goodness they love us just as much!

Sarabox said...

I could tell by earlier blogs how much she means to you and it shows clearly with this post also. I think it is wonderful that you have such a wonderful relationship with her! I am extremely close to my grandparents too...our boys are so lucky to have the wonderful gift of great-grandparents!